Followers

Monday, July 26, 2010

Two Days In A Row - YAY!

The last of the borders has been added and now to quilt. I have been reading and studying the process of Liberated Quiltmaking by Gwen Marston . The process is indeed liberating! So much in fact mistakes become design options and pre-planning or drafting is tossed out the window.



I could live with this method of quilt making. It fits my love of somewhat rough-around-the- edges, scrappy quilts. No need for templates or patterns - just do what you love. Use the fabrics and the colors you love. Brilliant!


I think I will pull out the perle cotton again for this one. It keeps hand quilting interesting and fun , working with all the lovely colors. Although, I am a sucker for hand quilting...I find it very relaxing. And using perle cotton has become one of my favorite choices in hand quilting. This one was quilted with perle cotton and this one too!
So back to work - I have the house to myself today - YAY!
Mary

7 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! I adore your quilts and have been watching you for awhile on flickr.... I'm so glad you started blogging! I was wondering what kind of batting you use when you hand quilt... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this quilt on Flickr and checked your profile for a blog. How lucky for me you just started one. Love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah!!! I am so excited!!! Thank you for the nice comments. Stephanie - in the past I always used all cotton batting. I like Quilters Dream and Warm and Natural. Lately, I have tried bamboo and it is very lovely. Easy to quilt as well. There is a little bearding with bamboo batting, but is not a big problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the blogging world - I love the quilts you have shared so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mary! I may try the bamboo. I don't know if I have ever seen that but I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see you have a blog, I've been following you on flickr too! Do you have a method for your spiky borders? I've been picturing something just like this for a border on a wonky star doll quilt but I have a complete mental block about how to do it! Maybe it could be your first tutorial? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much! Great idea for a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete