Followers

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Liberty and Linen = Love

Have you noticed my new header?
  I love this Pinched Pincushion that I designed for my own little Valentine's Day Celebration....
I love pincushions!  They are quick to make and so appreciated when gifted to a stitchy friend!
Today I put together a little tutorial so you can make your own Pinched Pincushion or make one for a friend!
First you need a heart.  My heart template is about 3.5 inches wide and 3.5 inches tall.  I traced my heart onto Freezer Paper.

gather the supplies
1. Freezer paper or card stock for heart template
2. Linen or fabric for the base...a FQ or a quarter yard is plenty
3. little piece of Liberty for the heart
4. Perle cotton or embroidery floss for the decorative stitching {I love Valdani}
5. Cotton stuffing or Fiberfill for stuffing the pincushion and a small piece of batting
6. Needle for hand stitching with Perle Cotton...my favorite is Fons and Porter Utility Needles
6. General sewing supplies
Make heart template and cut out....press the waxy side of the Freezer Paper to the right side of the Liberty fabric.


carefully cut out around the template and peel the template from the Liberty...now you have a Liberty heart.



Cut out the parts for the pincushion {Linen}.  You will need {2} 5 inch squares....and {4} 3" X 5" rectangles
I also cut a 5 inch square of low loft cotton batting

    
Use a dab of basting glue or just a pin to secure the heart to the center of one 5 inch square and a few more dabs to secure your 5" square batting to the wrong side of your heart square.


Stitch around the inside of the heart with perle cotton to keep your heart in place...

 
and stitch around the outside if you like!


Once the top is stitched you are ready to work on the sides...
take the 4 sides pieces {3" X 5"}.  Begin with two sides, right sides together, and stitch the short ends leaving a 1/4 inch open at the top and the bottom of the short end.  This process will be familiar if you have made a fabric cube.

  
 Remember to leave a 1/4 inch open at the top and the bottom of the short side...and backstitch to reinforce the stitching at both ends.
Add all four sides together in the same manner and, finally, stitch the first side to the fourth side to link all the sides together.

   
Press each seam open.

With right sides together match up the top of the pincushion {with the heart} with one of the sides.  Do not begin stitching at the corner....rather begin 1/4" in from the corner and end 1/4" from the other corner...back stitch both the beginning and the end of this line of stitching

    
Keep stitching along each side of the top square, matching the sides to the top and leaving a 1/4 inch open at both corners.  You do need to stitch each side separately...you can't just travel around the square and pivot at the corner.  The stitching needs to begin a 1/4 inch from each corner and end a 1/4 inch short of the next corner.  You will not have a hole at the corners because your stitching will meet as long as you keep accurate seam allowances.
Once you have finished the top, place the bottom 5 inch square on the bottom of the sides and continue in the same manner...the only difference being that you must leave a 2 inch opening in the middle of one side!                  

This is very important for stuffing the pincushion!
You should now have something that looks like a deflated linen cube!

  
Stuff the cube full of stuffing. Hand sew the opening closed. 
Now the fun part!
Pinch the top edges of the cube {a little less than a 1/2 inch} and using a running stitch...stitch up a little pinched edge!  I didn't even bother to bury the knot...just leave it on the outside and trim the tail close.

     
Go all the way around the top - pinching and stitching.  Then do the sides and lastly the bottom....pinch and stitch, pinch and stitch!

   
How cute is this?  I love it!
If you make one, I would love to see your pincushion!


happy pinching!
mary :)

17 comments:

  1. That is such a gorgeous pin cushion. The pinched look gives it extra character. It's a perfect way to feature a favourite little piece of fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new header...great little pincushion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this tutorial, love the pincushion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your pinch and stitch technique which for some reason makes me think of pie crust!

    Gorgeous wee pin cushion made special with Liberty and your pickstiching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Rachael and Nicky- a character-full pie pinnie! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely pincushion, super cute new header too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pincushion! I was wondering tho...do you do anything to make it heavy so it doesn't just kind of roll wherever? I know it is square and "roll" might be the wrong word, but my dilemia is I want a heavy bottom to the cushion so it doesn't move much, doesn't get knocked over when I move the fabric etc. Do you do anything to give the cushion weight?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's all about that pinched top for me!!!!! I have Liberty scraps and some linen...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is soooo lovely! I wisch my will look so adorable also. Thank for great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh Mary how you wound me with all your gorgeous gingham. I still havent bought any, although I can now say JoAnn's doesnt have any I want!!
    i do love the shape of this pincushion. thanks for the step by step

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's adorable. Thanks for sharing the process.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely darling...thanks for sharing.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so lovely. You always make such gorgeous things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another gorgeous idea. Thank you so much for sharing. I adore linen and prints too.

    ReplyDelete