Followers

Monday, March 24, 2014

A Refresher

A few posts ago, I mentioned a little quilt I am working on for someone special....


This is simply a triangle quilt...using an equilateral triangle ruler...
but sometimes triangle quilts are anything but simple.
I am using a method for piecing that I think works very well with triangles.  If I remember correctly, I saw this technique the first time in a quilt book by Sandy Klop.  I think it deserves repeating...

First determine the size triangle you want to use....I am using a Fons and Porter triangle ruler.
Following the grid on the ruler...cut a strip from two different fabrics the size required for your triangles.  I am cutting my strips 5" by the width of the fabric.  Stitch the strips together {right sides facing} on both long edges.  ** I like to cut my strips in half so I have a 22" strip.  That way I can mix up my fabrics.  In other words, I don't necessarily always want the same two fabrics next to each other**      


Begin on the left side of your strips, and placing the ruler so only half of the triangle is along the edge make a cut.  This cut is just to get the angle for cutting more sets.  

 
 Simply flip the ruler and match the left hand side along the previous cut and cut again...on the right hand side....repeat...

Now unpick the small tip of the triangle set...

       
Your triangle will look like this...

 
I like to press the seams open.
Once you have sets stitched an cut, it's time to piece them together in diagonal rows.


I have found that piecing these in diagonal rows helps to keep the points nice and pointy.  A single triangle will need to be added to the beginning and the end of each row.
Of course, each row added will be longer than the previous row...

 
As you keep adding rows, you will begin to decrease the triangles in the rows once you have the width...I like to lay it all out and number the rows before stitching everything together...


Once all your rows are stitched together, you will need to trim up the sides to make them straight.    
I like this method...give it a try or tell me if you have used this method before...

  
Hopefully, I will have a finished quilt to show you before long! Yippee!
happy monday!
mary

23 comments:

  1. I was only thinking about your method when i saw the IG photo! Thanks for reminding me about it! I really need to make a triangle quilt! Yours is going to be very pretty, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of that method before so thanks for sharing it. I love the mix of fabrics you are using!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of it either and plan on making a triangle quilt at some point, this is a clever way to piece it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing (and trying) a new technique. I am having a go at this.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was reading another blog last week and saw that they were cutting out individual triangles and then offsetting each point slightly before stitching, and I thought why don't they cut strips and sew them together and then cut, which is exactly what you have done :) so much quicker and less handling of bias edges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips...I want to do a triangle quilt in the near future and I appreciate the instructions...
    Mary
    ps I totally love your unicorns...very very fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this method almost 20 years ago at a workshop with Sharyn Craig. Thank you for refreshing my memory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute are those little prints! Looking forward to the finish : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Mary for sharing this method. I have not heard of it before but will give it a try. A triangle quilt is on my list ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this method. I too have wanted to make a triangle quilt. This is the best method I have read about. I will certainly give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. good tutorial will be back to have a go soon, it seems to work very well, thanks for sharing with us

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've not seen this method before - how clever!! Must make me one of these quilts. Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard of this method and it looks fantastic. A triangle quilt is on my wish list so I need to remember this! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. How clever is that!!! I've always fancied a triangle quilt, you're seriously making me ponder one now! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh.....thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is going to be such a nice quilt! What a great method!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A triangle quilt is definitely on my to do list, I think you explain it very well...though I still need to get me some rulers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've read about this method before but haven't yet made this type of triangle quilt. So glad to have my memory refreshed on the technique. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is great, Mary, a tutorial the is useful to Getting A Quilt Done. i'm filling this away for future use!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting! I never have seen this method either. I just finished a triangle quilt and pieced it in horizontal rows. Most of the points turned out nicely but I'd like to give this a try at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How clever! Thanks for sharing this method! I have a baby quilt in the near future and will have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How did I miss this when you posted it a month ago? What a genius method...thanks for sharing it, Mary!

    ReplyDelete